Thursday, December 16, 2010

My Sounds...

About 8 years ago I was invited to a poetry ready at the Neutral Ground Cafe which I am delighted to know survived Katrina and has reopened.  During this Sunday afternoon open mike was a young man,very non-descript who walked up to the mike with an acoustic guitar and had this voice so sweet,I was swept away.

Not one but 2 poems about him while I was there...

I've not seen him since... I do not know if HE survived the storm or ever came back to New Orleans...

Photgraph byJHM©10


Man on the String
By Jacquelyn Hughes Mooney©03

A man on the string…
And he sings a celebration that swept the world.
Flowing with a mysterious refrain…
Will you continue to sing with the man on the string?
Who stopped just long enough, only to begin still another celebration unto me?

This man on a string, as he continues to ping.
Oh just so doing his thing…

As he continues to swing in the belly of the Neutral Ground Cafe.
These sound that vibrated around the world.
And he brings no steel to the space on Daneel (Street)
He is just bringing another celebration song to thee.
All rights reserved JHM 7-13-03©

Photgraph byJHM©10

His Sound
By Jacquelyn Hughes Mooney ©03

His sound was like John Denver with cayenne pepper…
Thrown in for good measure.
And his sound wrapped around my left ear.
Engaging his heart’s voice enlivening my soul.
His sound is like John Denver with cayenne thrown in for good measure.
(Fly away…. Fly away…. Flay a-waaaay!)

All right reserved JHM©03

Photgraph byJHM©10

No comments:

Post a Comment